I’m bringing you some quick Spring 17 wardrobe updates for women over 40 today. I spent the weekend happily packing away my winter colours (I’m tired of burgundy and dark green) and now I want to add some more vibrant accents to my wardrobe.
So, let’s start with casual. We’ve already talked about the new looser jeans shape and I’m sure that everybody is starting to see it come through into the mainstream. The dominant colour for Spring and Summer is going to be a mid-blue stonewash. Frayed and stepped hems continue to be a thing, and heavy, traditional, non-stretchy denim has taken over from lycra.
Top tips for buying new jeans for women over 40 this season
- The ‘Mom’ Jean is probably the most flattering cut. Boyfriend jeans are great if you’re very slim, otherwise they can make you look chunky.
- Remember that we’re reversing proportions – with skinnies you wore longer, looser tops. With the new jeans you’re going to be playing around with tucking things in (the half tuck is a good measure – tucked in at the front but not the back) or wearing shorter boxy tops (layer a long fitted tank underneath for a figure flattering effect).
- Now that jeans are a lighter wash and a looser cut, you can add smarter items for contrast – so all of the things that you were teaming with skinnies a couple of years ago (pointed courts, crisp shirting, blazers, Crombie style coats) now have a new lease of life.
- Skinny denim may be over but hang on to other skinny styles such as leather leggings, velvet skinnies and even coloured skinnies. Think about the shoes you’re wearing – block heels are probably the safest choice right now.
There is a great feature here about the death of skinny jeans with opinions from people far more fashionable than me if you need some convincing. For further reading, this feature discusses the different jeans options that are available to you.
Spring 17 wardrobe updates for women over 40 – casual
So, this gives you an idea of what a Spring 2017 capsule might include:
- This is not a breton but it is a very nice 100% cotton sweater with a fresh touch of contemporary detail
- This mini buckle bag brings in the SS17 trend for embellishment and is a great way to pull a palette of pink, blue and red together or just to elevate an otherwise plain navy outfit.
- The red ankle boot is the current fashion statement of the season which is refreshing because it’s a particularly easy thing to adopt at any age.
- The style of neckline on this jumper is always more flattering on an over 40 chin than a polo neck because it echoes the contours of the neck without compressing any less than firm flesh… and it doesn’t make you overheat. The pixellated pattern is also a nice detail and it is made from 100% organic cotton.
- A simply cut pair of cropped jeans in the right shade of blue with an on trend frayed hemline.
- Nana shoes are still popular, probably because they’re comfortable and easy to wear. They look great with cropped jeans for Spring and, if you’re still wedded to your skinny jeans, they will help you to update your look.
- The pattern on this wave jumper gives us another nod to nostalgia and the graphics of the late 70s and early 80s. I think women over 40 wear these styles even better than the 20 somethings, they give you a hint of perennial fashionability.
- A great neutral mini bag in one of SS17’s key shapes, this would go with anything.
- The backless mule rose to the forefront last summer and this year it’s going to be mainstream. These are a soft gold neutral, look more expensive than they are and the vamp isn’t too high so they won’t look like flippers.
Spring 17 wardrobe updates for women over 40 – workwear
Trousers are, once more, the key update for the working wardrobe. Tailored crops are classic but they now look a bit tired so it is worth moving into a looser shape.
- Collar popping is having a revival. This revere jacket is a subtle way to nod to the trend without looking like Don Johnson and the fitted, cropped shape works well with wider trousers or jeans.
- Chinos are going to be coming back this summer. Until then, these cropped Hoxton flares are a way of getting used to a lighter colour on the bottom half of your outfit. They are made from heavy white denim with pressed creases so they won’t make you look like your grandma.
- If you’re still happier in darker colours, these wide crops will fit the bill, they’re great quality and washable. Worn with the black jacket they will also reference the trouser suit revival that we’ll really start to see coming through in the Autumn.
- Blush is this season’s white and will make this camisole flattering for most skintones. This is a great price for real silk, the lace will show above and below the jacket, making it a lovely desk to dinner option.
- Blouses with pussy bow collars are still big this year but they’ve moved on to contrasting colours. Wear the tie loose for full monochrome appeal.
- This smart sweatshirt top is a great shape for balancing out waist definition with the wide crop trousers. It saves you from wondering whether to tuck… or not to tuck and it would look great with jeans too.
- Adding a softer neutral makes this outfit look fresher. This is a beautiful bag for work, it’s just the right shape for documents and an iPad with lots of pockets to help you feel in control.
- Great shoes – I have them in pink (now in the sale) which would also work with this outfit. The Insolia lining means you can walk in them all day and the vamp makes them look far more expensive than they are.
I hope that’s given you some fresh ideas. I’m running out of time and must now dash off. I’ve planned my diary very badly for the next two weeks and I’m about to start dropping rather than spinning my proverbial plates but I’ll be back on Friday.
Mid season sales
Marks and Spencer has just started here – be quick
Whistles sale has also gone live today – I am so glad I didn’t promote last week’s 25% off because so many things are now half price!